God empowers us
With God’s help, I can do amazing things -- like leap tall buildings in a single bound. ~ Psalm 18:29 (ABP)
Every God-begotten person conquers the world’s ways. The conquering power that brings the world to its knees is our faith. ~ 1 John 5:4 (MSG)
KEY IDEA:
God's power is greater than we realize. We tap into it through faith.
PRAYER:
Thank you, God, for the victory of Christ Jesus who conquered sin and death at the cross and resurrection. Thank you for making his power available to us as we put our trust in him. Sometimes I'm afraid of the evil in this world. I get anxious that the power of evil is too great. Relieve me of my fears and help me to trust you so that I can face evil without fear. I'm expecting to win out over the world’s ways by using my faith to join Jesus' victory. He's the one! Amen.
TRANSLATIONS
ABP = Authorized Boydston Paraphrase — my own freestyle biblical adaptation — somewhere between paraphrase, commentary, and sermon
CEB = Common English Bible (©2011, the Common English Bible)
CEV = Contemporary English Version (©1995, American Bible Society)
MSG = The Message (©1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson)
NIRV = New International Reader's Version (©1996, 1998, Biblica)
NIV = New International Version (©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011, Biblica)
NLT = New Living Translation (©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, Tyndale House Foundation)
NRSVue = New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (© 2021 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.) NTE = New Testament for Everyone (©2011 Nicolas Thomas Wright.)
REB = Revised English Bible (© 1989 Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press) TCEB = The Casual English Bible (© Stephen M. Miller)