God's power
Lord, tell me when the end will come
and how long I will live.
Let me know how long I have. ~ Psalm 39:4 (NCV)
Don’t be afraid! I am the first, the last, and the living one. I died, but now I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys to death and the world of the dead. ~ Revelation 1:17b-18 (CEV)
KEY IDEA:
Don't be afraid. God's power extends even over the realm of death.
PRAYER:
God, thank you for using your power on our behalf. We don't deserve your kindness. I don't really trust you enough. I find satisfaction in worrying about the future. It gives me a sense of power and control. Please free me from all the worry and fear that hinders the way I live. I'm going to put my faith in you -- so much so that even death itself won't bother me. Amen.
TRANSLATIONS
ABP = Authorized Boydston Paraphrase — my own freestyle biblical adaptation — somewhere between paraphrase, commentary, and sermon
CEB = Common English Bible (©2011, the Common English Bible)
CEV = Contemporary English Version (©1995, American Bible Society)
MSG = The Message (©1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson)
NIRV = New International Reader's Version (©1996, 1998, Biblica)
NIV = New International Version (©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011, Biblica)
NLT = New Living Translation (©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, Tyndale House Foundation)
NRSVue = New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (© 2021 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.) NTE = New Testament for Everyone (©2011 Nicolas Thomas Wright.)
REB = Revised English Bible (© 1989 Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press) TCEB = The Casual English Bible (© Stephen M. Miller)