The right race
You guide me with your advice, and later you will receive me in honor. ~ Psalm 73:24 (NCV)
Paul wrote: I’ve run hard right to the finish, believed all the way. All that’s left now is the shouting—God’s applause! Depend on it, he’s an honest judge. He’ll do right not only by me, but by everyone eager for his coming. ~ 2 Timothy 4:7-8 (MSG)
KEY IDEA:
Run the right race for the right prize.
PRAYER:
Lord, thank you for being an honest judge. You are a straight shooter. When it comes to overseeing the race of life your judgment is impeccable. I confess, though, that I spend way too much of life in the wrong competition. And I try to impress the wrong judge. Lord, give me a fresh vision of what the race is really all about. I want to run for the honors that you bestow. Amen.
TRANSLATIONS
ABP = Authorized Boydston Paraphrase — my own freestyle biblical adaptation — somewhere between paraphrase, commentary, and sermon
CEB = Common English Bible (©2011, the Common English Bible)
CEV = Contemporary English Version (©1995, American Bible Society)
MSG = The Message (©1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson)
NIRV = New International Reader's Version (©1996, 1998, Biblica)
NIV = New International Version (©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011, Biblica)
NLT = New Living Translation (©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, Tyndale House Foundation)
NRSVue = New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (© 2021 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.) NTE = New Testament for Everyone (©2011 Nicolas Thomas Wright.)
REB = Revised English Bible (© 1989 Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press) TCEB = The Casual English Bible (© Stephen M. Miller)