Shunning evil, embracing peace
Fear-of-the-Lord—that’s Wisdom,
and Insight means shunning evil. ~ Job 28:28 (MSG)
God has called you to peace. ~ 1 Corinthians 7:15 (CEB)
KEY IDEA:
God is calling you to shun everything that is evil so that you can embrace a life characterized by peace.
PRAYER:
Lord, your wisdom is deeper than I can ever go. But I would like to have more of it. And I realize that only by staying close to you will I ever have access to it. Yet, it is really hard to live in this world. Even my responses to the evil around me are not characterized by the kind of peace that comes with your wisdom. Help me to do your will in your way -- to shun that which is evil so that I can embrace peace. Amen.
TRANSLATIONS
ABP = Authorized Boydston Paraphrase — my own freestyle biblical adaptation — somewhere between paraphrase, commentary, and sermon
CEB = Common English Bible (©2011, the Common English Bible)
CEV = Contemporary English Version (©1995, American Bible Society)
MSG = The Message (©1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson)
NIRV = New International Reader's Version (©1996, 1998, Biblica)
NIV = New International Version (©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011, Biblica)
NLT = New Living Translation (©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, Tyndale House Foundation)
NRSVue = New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (© 2021 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.) NTE = New Testament for Everyone (©2011 Nicolas Thomas Wright.)
REB = Revised English Bible (© 1989 Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press) TCEB = The Casual English Bible (© Stephen M. Miller)