The 21st Sunday after Pentecost
AMOS 7:14-15 (MSG)
Amos stood up to Amaziah: "I never set up to be a preacher, never had plans to be a preacher. I raised cattle and I pruned trees. Then GOD took me off the farm and said, ‘Go preach to my people Israel.’"
MARK 1:16-17 (CEV)
As Jesus was walking along the shore of Lake Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew. They were fishermen and were casting their nets into the lake. Jesus said to them, “Come with me! I will teach you how to bring in people instead of fish.”
SUMMARY SENTENCE
God uses ordinary people for his extraordinary assignments.
PRAYER
Wow, God, you gift ordinary people -- people like me. I feel important to you. But I get distracted from your assignments. Instead of trusting you, I slide back to the old agenda when things get stressful. Keep me focused on what I'm called to do to advance your kingdom. I'm going to go fishing -- for people. Amen.
Since 2006, I've been modeling one way of using the MORAVIAN DAILY TEXTS* to maintain a daily conversation with God.
– Brad Boydston
How this works
Translate
DAILYTEXTS.ORG
TRANSLATIONS
ABP = Authorized Boydston Paraphrase — my own freestyle biblical adaptation — somewhere between paraphrase, commentary, and sermon
CEB = Common English Bible (©2011, the Common English Bible)
CEV = Contemporary English Version (©1995, American Bible Society)
NIRV = New International Reader's Version (©1996, 1998, Biblica)
NIV = New International Version (©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011, Biblica)
NLT = New Living Translation (©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, Tyndale House Foundation)
NRSVue = New Revised Standard Version Updated Edition (© 2021 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.)
NTE = New Testament for Everyone (©2011 Nicolas Thomas Wright.)
REB = Revised English Bible (© 1989 Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press)
TCEB = The Casual English Bible (© Stephen M. Miller)
CEB = Common English Bible (©2011, the Common English Bible)
CEV = Contemporary English Version (©1995, American Bible Society)
EEB = EasyEnglish Bible (©2015, MissionAssist)
ERV = Easy-To-Read Version (©2006, World Bible Translation Center)
EXB = The Expanded Bible (©2011, Thomas Nelson Publishing)
GNT = Good News Translation (©1992, American Bible Society)
ERV = Easy-To-Read Version (©2006, World Bible Translation Center)
EXB = The Expanded Bible (©2011, Thomas Nelson Publishing)
GNT = Good News Translation (©1992, American Bible Society)
MSG = The Message (©1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson)
NIRV = New International Reader's Version (©1996, 1998, Biblica)
NIV = New International Version (©1973, 1978, 1984, 2011, Biblica)
NLT = New Living Translation (©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, Tyndale House Foundation)
NTE = New Testament for Everyone (©2011 Nicolas Thomas Wright.)
REB = Revised English Bible (© 1989 Oxford University Press and Cambridge University Press)
TCEB = The Casual English Bible (© Stephen M. Miller)